The holidays are coming, so it's time to get festive. I am a sweet potato lover, and this casserole does just the trick. And it has less than 200 calories per serving. Can easily be doubled for big family dinners! Servings: 4
Sweet Potato Casserole
2 large sweet potatoes
2 egg whites
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 cup dried cranberries (you could use dried apricots or dried cherries, or both!)
1. Wash and peel 2 sweet potatoes and quarter them.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in dutch oven or sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and let them simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain and then mash.
3. Place in a large bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites, syrup and vanilla. Let the potatoes cool slightly and stir in the egg white mixture.
4. Grease a loaf baking dish and transfer the potatoes. Combine the pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
5. Add the dried cranberries and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!