Saturday, April 14, 2012

Homemade Tortillas - Without Lard!

I had some left over cooked shredded chicken, so I decided to just have a taco night...but...I didn't want to go to the store. So I decided to try and make my own flour tortillas. Once I got searching for a recipe, EVERYTHING had good old fashioned fatty lard! I'm sure if I really used lard, the tortillas would be delicious, but I'm not too sure I'd enjoy them very much. So I improvised, and came up with this:

Tortillas
2 cups flour (next time I think I'll do 1 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cups warm skim milk (microwave for 30 seconds)

1. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt. 
2. Mix in the olive oil until completely combined (still very crumbly)
3. Slowly add the warm milk and stir until it's all mixed-in and there is a loose ball of dough. 
4. Knead about 100 times on a floured surface. 
5. Cover and let the dough rest (at least 20 minutes)
6. Pinch apart into about 8 small pieces. Roll into a ball. Let the dough rest again for about another 20 minutes, covered. 
7. Roll flat (it doesn't matter if they are a little abnormally shaped). I rolled mine so flat, like almost translucent flat. Because as soon as the dough hits the heat it shrinks up. 
8. Cook on a dry iron skillet on a medium-high heat. Each side needs about 30 seconds, the tortilla should puff up a little and will be easy to flip. 
9. Keep them covered or wrapped until ready to serve. Yummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment